12.01.2009

Lack of Research Material





Hello all, I'm having a hard time finding any relevant material on the effects of cannabis in Cystic Fibrosis. It may just be that I don't have access to an adequate medical database, but the only author on the subject I can find is the same Dr. Fride I wrote about in earlier posts. I'm not too taken back by this though; There is obviously medical relevance in the subject matter, or Fride wouldn't have gotten such positive results in her study.

I do think I may need to take this in a different direction though - I'm going to start a study of my own. Obviously it wont be as scientifically anchored as a microbiologist's research, but I'll do my best with what I have to contribute. What I plan to do, is over the course of the next month I will refrain from using any cannabis. I will record a variety of variables such as my weight, appetite, general health, and cough productivity. After the month is up, given I am able, I will continue my use of the vaporizer and note any changes over the following month. Now the only thing that may pose a problem here is I'll be moving into a shared home on January 1st. I still am unsure what my new roommate's views would be, pertaining to this experiment. But don't worry, I'll find a way no matter what the case - I'm a pretty persistent guy. Worst case, I'll just cook up edible brownies and cookies every weekend and make enough to last the week. They'll be none the wiser, hopefully.

So I'll make sure to keep you updated on my health status; Lets hope my weight doesn't drop too low. Let me know if you have any ideas for future posts, I'd love some input. Also on a side note, how's everyone liking my photoshop attempts at making this blog less bland? I'm no professional, but I think I'm doing an alright job if I do say so myself.

Breathe easy,
-Ryan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow this is quite an eye opener and very informative material here .... i am sure this will make a big difference ...for the better...job well done Ryan..continued success in your research and hope lots of people will also get involved .....

S.Persad said...

Ryan,

Because you don't have access to your own professional medical database, I really do admire your ability to ultimately stop vaporizing marijuana for the entire length of a month. My only concern would be that after you start again it will lead to less accurate results. Maybe try switching the two? Smoking weed and recording your statistics during this month, and stop during the month of January? I could see that working slightly better as your body is used from the active ingredient in weed. Also, it would be better with finding out if your potential roommates do partake in this recreational activity or it's just you alone. That is the only suggestion I can think of that would lead you to better results.

All the best dude!

Shanta

Anonymous said...

i've wanted to do this for years, but i just never had the discipline. i wish you the best luck and success. my suggestion would be to get another party involved in recording your progress. it may help to reduce bias and just keep you going those days where you really wanna give up.

hopefully you'll get some quality results, but above all, take care of yourself.

breathe in. breathe out.

-brian, 28 w/CF

Renata said...

I understand what Shanta is saying but i actually disagree. I think the approach of taking one month off first while recording how you feel and any symptoms you may have and then recording any changes for the second month while using THC is the better way. My thought is, because Ryan has already been using Cannabis for a period of time, he cannot accurately record the differences since his body is already used to having THC in the bloodstream. Also, I was wondering when you mentioned you would just ingest it if you can't use around your roommate. Do we know if there is any difference in effect when one ingests cannabis as opposed to inhaling? This could affect the outcome of your study. Especially since your body has difficulty with the proper digestion of food.